Friday, September 23, 2011

The Doctor's Perspective

I think as a physician one of the scariest things is watching your patient not do well. Whether it be because they are not taking their medications or that they are just having another manic or depressive episode, it's very difficult to stand and watch helplessly.


While medications can help, sometimes the illness is just too strong and takes time to get under control. In my own experiences when seeing a patient de-compensate, I automatically feel that I'm not doing something I should be. 

In these instances I find it particularly helpful to speak with patients families about what we can do to help get the patient well. I also find that getting input from colleagues has helped.


Ultimately, I've found that asking for help is never a bad thing. One of the prior blogs mentioned the importance of utilizing patient family and friends as a resource for education which I absolutely second!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, when it comes to bipolar disorder, definitely ask for the help that you need!

    ReplyDelete